Thursday, September 30, 2010

Turkey Enchiladas




I have quite the obsession with Mexican food. I could eat it literally everyday and never get sick of it! I mean tacos, nachos, burritos, enchiladas- there are so many tasty varieties. My mom swears she craved Mexican food big time when she was pregnant with me, so maybe that has something to do with my immense love for it! Lucky for me the hubs loves it just as much as me! This recipe is a family recipe that is delicious! You have to try this if you love Mexican food. It is a healthier version too with turkey instead of ground beef. I also use light sour cream, 2 percent cheese and whole wheat tortillas to make it even healthier!

TURKEY ENCHILADAS
-3/4 CUP CHOPPED BELL PEPPER
-1/2 CHOPPED ONION
-1/4 CUP ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
-3/4 TSP GROUND CORIANDER
-2 1/2 CUPS CHICKEN BROTH
-1 CUP SHREDDED SHARP CHEESE, PLUS EXTRA FOR SPRINKLING OVER THE TOP
-1 CUP SOUR CREAM
-3 CUPS CHOPPED GROUND TURKEY, COOKED
-1/2 CUP SALSA
-8 6 INCH TORTILLAS

PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES. SPRAY PAM IN A 9X13 DISH. HEAT A PAN WITH OLIVE OIL UNTIL HOT, ADD BELL PEPPER AND ONION AND SAUTE ABOUT 5 MINUTES. IN A MEDIUM BOWL COMBINE FLOUR, CORIANDER, AND GRADUALLY MIX IN BROTH. ADD THIS MIXTURE TO THE BELL PEPPERS AND ONIONS. BRING TO A BOIL AND COOK 3 MINUTES OR UNTIL THICK, STIRRING FREQUENTLY. REMOVE FROM HEAT AND STIR IN CHEESE AND SOUR CREAM. IN A LARGE BOWL COMBINE 1 CUP CHEESE MIXTURE, COOKED TURKEY AND SALSA. DIVIDE TURKEY MIXTURE AND SPREAD INTO EACH TORTILLA AND ROLL. PLACE IN DISH. POUR REMAINING CHEESE SAUCE OVER TOP. SPRINKLE EXTRA CHEDDAR CHEESE OVER TOP. BAKE 30 MINUTES OR UNTIL IT IS BUBBLY.

WE GARNISH OURS WITH FRESH DICED JALAPENOS.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh I love this idea! I make something like this with beef, but yours sounds so much better!

Alicia xoxxo said...

I am loving your blog! Your family is beautiful!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mexican!!!! Love this recipe!!! I am def going to make this!! Thanks for sharing!