Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Thai Lentil Lettuce Wraps


Since cutting back on meat I have relied heavily on beans as a substitute.  I still just can't get down with tofu and soy products yet.  The texture gets me every time. I love lentils and after I had them as the "meat" in my taco salad at Gnome Cafe it got me thinking they would make a great lettuce wrap filler.  I honestly loved these and they are guilt free, nothing bad in them at all! I used dried beans and cooked them but if you are feeling lazy just pick up a box of the pre-cooked lentils at Trader Joes (they are in the fridge section where the produce is).  I use those lentils in salads all the time.  These babies are great alone but drizzle them with some dipping sauce and it really sets the flavors off.  Next time I may even add in some water chestnuts for extra crunch. Save a few extra of the grated carrots and green onions for garnish. The lentil filling part for the wraps and the dipping sauce can be made ahead of time.  Just reheat the lentils or bring to room temperature and serve.
Enjoy.



|| T H A I   L E N T I L  L E T T U C E   W R A P S ||

- 1 cup dried lentils
- 3 carrots shredded
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 large shallot diced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1.5 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoon soy sauce
- Romaine or bibb lettuce
- hot sauce for drizzling 

Cook the lentils according to the package.  I used one cup dried lentils to 2 cups water and had to add some more water in while they simmered.  Bring to a boil and then let simmer.  I cooked mine about 40 minutes. 
In a large skillet saute the diced shallot with olive oil for about 5 minutes.  Add in the green onions, carrots, and ginger and cook another 3-5 minutes blending the flavors. 
Add the lentils back to the large skillet with the veggies and stir all together.  Add in soy sauce and rice wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper if needed.

D I P P I N G   S A U C E 
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce or siriacha
- sesame seeds optional for garnish

whisk all together and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.





3 comments:

Christina @ Simple and Delish said...

Wow - this looks so good! I've made something but usually use taco shells. I'll have to switch it up next time I whip this up!

Christina :: Simple and Delish

Jill said...

that thug kitchen book is hilarious, I love the comments as much as the recipes

Julie said...

I made this last night for dinner and it was SO good. Even my husband who was skeptical of it, loved it. WINNER!